Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Couponing





I took a coupon class way back at the beginning of this year at my friend Ashley's. She also knows the Coupon Gal and she taught the class! (Ash teaches classes now too!) 

So, it's like couponing for your everyday person. NOT like crazy couponer on t.v. It was great to learn the rules, and which coupons/sales can go together. It made so much sense so quickly. And really, so easy. Everyone should do it. 

At the class, I ordered 4 newspapers every Sunday. They were only $20 for the year for each one. Plus, we all know I have no concept of money or how much of a stockpile 2 people need. (Just so we are clear, not 4 papers worth but whatever.) I also got a gift card for buying so many papers. I love gift cards. Always there for rainy days. 

Then, after my class, a bad thing happened. I gave up on couponing. I just got "too busy". He would never say it, but I know Case was disappointed. $80 wasted. About a week ago, I finally got my butt in gear. The time commitment is small. 

-Sunday: half hour sorting the paper. All I do, is pull out coupons. Stack them together,  put the good parts of newspaper in my paint pile (to use under my paint projects later), and show away those shiny ad pieces. You can look at the ads before tossing of course. 
- Tuesday: this is the day I try to plan on shopping each week. After you pick your favorite stores, you can see which day the new ad starts. I go on Tuesdays because Case has church activities. Go which day works for you. 

I've only gone twice so far. So my expert advice is limited. My first time, I had to organize those coupons I ignored for 6 months, and it took me longer because I was new. It took about 2 hours, then maybe 1 hour to shop. My second time took me 1.5 hours total. Once you have done it, you start to get the hang of it quick. So, I would say plan on 30minutes to an hour to organize then 1-2 hours in the store. And, go alone!! You do have to pay attention a little bit more than you would on a normal trip. 

Also, you only use 4 coupons for each item. (Like only 4 bottles of shampoo, etc) so you aren't emptying the shelves and leaving everyone else with nothing like the crazies on t.v. And, you only have to get what you need. Much better! 

If you want a class, contact Ashley Nielsen. You can find her on facebook @ ThisMom Coupons.

Also, the link to Coupon Gal's website @ Utah Deal Diva

I refresh my memory with these instructions often and it's way helpful. 

Now, for the nitty gritty of my first trip! The retail value with no sales/coupons was over $132! I spent $57.98! 

I got:
- 4 bottles of laundry soap
- 3 bottles of body wash
- 4 packages of diaper wipes 
- 2 boxes of Cheerios
- bread (because we love carbs, no sale)
-milk (again. no sale. just needed)
- yogurt
-Roast
- 2 bags of grapes
- 3 peaches
-lunch meat (it was on sale, but it wasn't a huge bargain)
- 3 bottles of febreeze air freshener
- 3 bags of candy
- dryer sheets
- a box of crayons (I needed a new set for Primary)
- cream cheese
- water flavoring
- and, shave gel



1 comment:

  1. Way to go… I am horrible at couponing and I don't know when I would go ALONE!!!! If I ever get motivated I know where to go to get tips.

    ReplyDelete