Thursday, July 17, 2014

I'm not golden, and it's okay

{DISCLAIMER: 2 Negative posts in a row. Yikes.}

In my free time, I work full time as an Associate Director. We don't need to get into details, but on any given weekday between 9-5 I am working-- in an office, meetings, at other establishments, working with the state. I also am married and have 2 dogs. Just like everyone else, there is a lot going on.
Some days I just wonder who has a voodoo doll of me and what on earth did I do to piss them off.
Today was that day.
1. I loathe when people are on your side right up to the point when it's time to stand for something. Then they crack and you find yourself standing completely alone trying to represent. It just sucks.
2. I absolutley, more than anything, hate being told something that I did wasn't done good enough. Literally, a one line email saying "get this done" effects me for weeks. WEEKS. I won't feel good enough, and I'll wonder why they didn't find someone better.
3. First world, but dishes?! Seriously, what the hell. Neverending.
4. I think that goes for all housework.
5. Why are there only 24 hours in a day? And why do I require so much sleep?
6. Why am I venting all these things instead of just feeling like I tried my best and it IS good enough?

So, moral of the story--> maybe today I wasn't the favorite employee, maybe today I wasn't the best wife,  maybe I didn't accomplish everything I wanted today. However, I did my best and that's enough. I try hard to make a difference and if I were perfect there would be no reason to work on anything tomorrow. I think sometimes we don't give ourselves enough credit. And we ALL deserve it. Every one of us has done something today that will, in fact, change the course of history. Maybe you smiled at someone who didn't feel like they had any friends. Maybe you gave a waitress a tip that was just enough money to finish paying the power bill. Maybe you are raising a child, maybe you went to work to feed your family. Whatever you did, it was enough and it was golden. It was exactly what you needed to be doing on this exact day in order to change the course of this world.

And, you are enough.

So, right now, you can sulk in a bubble bath or grab a soda, but when you are done create a list of 7 things that were enough today. Keep them to yourself, journal them, leave me a comment. But DO IT. Because you deserve to give yourself some credit.

1. I did, in fact, get the dishes done.
2. I talked to a friend for an hour on the phone. And, he's a great example.
3. No one in this world will love the Hub more than I do. And, I think he knows that, not just today, but everyday.
4. I planned a lunch with friends tomorrow.
5. I addressed a concern and hopefully made someone else feel more at ease.
6. I emptied my mailbox at work. (Which means I'm getting closer to everything that needed to be accomplished today)
7. I said a prayer to my Heavenly Father that I could be guided to do whatever I needed to get done today in order to be exactly where I need to be in order to help someone else. Because in the end, that's what matters.

You are golden. Always.

2 comments:

  1. I love it Kalli! You are a great example of serving others. You get it and have reminded me...life is about relationships and the little things to serve others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really needed to hear this today! With the ups and downs of my life right now, it is sometimes hard to feel like we are good enough. I think everyday this week has been a soda/bubblebath kinda day, and reading your post made me realize that's okay! Seeing you today brightened my day and reading your blog was the icing on the cake! Love you friend, keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete