Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Product Review: Fitbit

Today, I went to a workout class. I died. Of course, after I stopped and picked up pizza for dinner. Casey was with the young men at our church and didn't get home until later. Can I please describe the embarrassing events that transpired. 
- I was in booty shorts and proceeded to throw on sweats in the parking lot of Little Caesars.  Bystanders probably thought ho was gettin dressed. 
- I bought pizza after a workout. I think I cancelled myself a bit on that one. 
- I chose to eat in front of the television. I have to catch up on my Sister Wives when Casey isn't home. Then the young women of our church dropped off a paper. Oh, hey guys. Hey. 

Winning, just winning. That's a side story though. I really have something of value to report on.

For Christmas last year, Casey gave me a jawbone speaker. I had been complaining (I don't remember that part) that I wanted to listen to some tunes at work. I really loved it, but I didn't think I would use it enough to justify how much it cost.
Side Note: Casey does extremely well with gift giving and I did love the speaker. I am 100% sure I would have enjoyed it and I am grateful he bought me something at all. I sound like a fart when I say we returned it. I really did like it.
So, off to Best Buy we went to exchange it for something else. Casey showed me a few other things he thought about buying. The fitbit flex was on the list. Like any smart husband, he did not put the weight loss device under the tree because, again, like any good husband he tells me I'm perfect. (I love him). Of course, that's what I chose. After about 4 days, we went back and bought Casey one too. It's fun comparing our stats each day. 

What is it:
 it's a wristband that you can wear all the time and it tracks the calories you are burning. The flex has changeable bands in case you are feeling trendy. You charge the little electronic piece about once a week. It can also track your sleep patterns, and steps. You can manually enter your calories consumed each day also. It has dots on the band that let you know how close to your goal you are.
Pros:
1. Idiot proof. I am NOT technology savvy at all.
2. Interchangeable band. I can match my outfit each day
      I have black, grey-blue, aqua, red, and navy. I want like 10 more colors!
3. Easy to put on. It takes 2 seconds, tops. Throw it on as you are running out the door.
4. Comfy. You can wear it to sleep. It measures how many times you are restless or wake up. It's absolutely fascinating to compare mine and Casey's. I'm kind of an obnoxious bed partner.
5. Did I mention easy?
6. You can find friends that will show up in your app. I'm a lame sauce, Case is my only friend. Add me if you have a fitbit!
7. There's an app! You can look at the dots throughout the day, but it also sync's to my phone so I am able to check my progress frequently.

Cons:
1. It's plain, but I still have an armband on. ... while I can match it to my outfit, it is what it is. It's probably not super noticeable, but sometimes it's just eh.
2. I went to a gym class for an hour tonight. It didn't show any of the class under "very active minutes". And it was! To be fair, the class wasn't cardio.
3. I don't use it to count my calorie intake, I like My Fitness Pal better. However, it is connected to my My Fitness Pal account, which makes that much easier.
Overall, I'm way happy with the purchase. I have gained 10 pounds since owning it, but I think that's a me issue, not the band. ;) I think someone a bit more advanced on their fitness may want a little something, something extra but for me-- happy camper!

2 comments:

  1. wow I want one of these! I have a heartbeat monitor that tracks calories while working out but to be honest I rarely wear it! I love it just don't like wearing it. I should invest in this. Ps. There is a donut store right next to the gym with the BEST donuts ever. I stop there frequently after my workout.. Sometimes I don't get me one but they don't know that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jess, I want a Garmin like you! I also have a fitness watch, a suunto, but I can't figure it out! The flex is nice because I can wear it all day. And, I love the strategically placed donut shop. I bet they get tons of business!

      Delete